Big Sale

News

Friday 13 July, 2018 | RSS Feed

What do the Miami Marlins think of Papa John’s founder’s apology? You’re out!

by Administrator | post a comment

The dominoes continue to fall after the founder and former chief executive officer of Papa John’s used a racial slur in describing slow sales.

The latest to cut ties with the popular pizza delivery chain: the Miami Marlins.

The team announced in a statement Thursday that they immediately suspended all promotions and its relationship with the Papa John’s brand — including closing the Papa John’s concession stands at Marlins Park.

Under the promotion, if the Marlins scored five or more runs in a game, Papa John’s offered customers a promo code to get 50 percent off a pizza the next day.
The move comes after John Schnatter, the Papa John’s chairman, complained in May during a media training exercise that slowing sales at the chain were partly a result of viewers’ dissatisfaction with NFL players taking a knee during the national anthem to protest racial injustice.

Schnatter reportedly complained that Colonel Sanders — of KFC fame — never faced a backlash for using the N-word, although he uttered the derogatory term.
Schnatter apologized and resigned as chairman of Papa John’s board late Wednesday.

The Marlins said Thursday the Papa John’s stands will be closed as of Friday, when the team begins a three-game series at home against the Philadelphia Phillies. The team is working with concessionaires to find a pizza option “as quickly as possible, but are not confident we will be able to provide that for this weekend’s series,” the Marlins said.

Major League Baseball announced it was distancing itself from Papa John’s and its promotions this week, Yahoo Sports reported. Less than a day after Schnatter left the board that carries the “John” of his name, the Marlins made it official, too.
“The Marlins are committed to an inclusive environment for all of our fans. Mr. Schnatter’s derogatory and insensitive comments are not at all reflective of the values of our organization,” the team said in the statement.




Miami Marlins Cut Ties With Papa John's Over Founder's Racial Slur

by Administrator | post a comment

The Miami Marlins are cutting ties with Papa John's following pizza company founder John Schnatter's apology for using a racial slur during a conference call in May.

The team announced Thursday that they were "immediately suspending our relationship and promotions with the Papa John's brand," a statement read.

"The Marlins are committed to an inclusive environment for all of our fans. Mr. Schnatter's derogatory and insensitive comments are not at all reflective of the values of our organization," the team said in the statement.

Schnatter resigned Wednesday night from his position as chairman of the board of the company. He stepped down as CEO last year after blaming slowing sales growth on the outcry surrounding football players kneeling during the national anthem.




Marlins, Rays suspend relationship with Papa John's after racial slur

by Administrator | post a comment

The Miami Marlins have suspended their relationship with Papa John's Pizza following a controversial racial slur used by the company's founder, John Schnatter.

“The Marlins are committed to an inclusive environment for all of our fans," the Marlins said in a statement released Thursday.

"Mr. Schnatter’s derogatory and insensitive comments are not at all reflective of the values of our organization. As such, the Marlins are immediately suspending our relationship and promotions with the Papa John’s brand.”

Also Thursday, the Tampa Bay Rays followed suit, suspending their discount programs with the pizza chain.

The moves come less than 24 hours after Major League Baseball suspended its "Papa Slam" promotion, which gave fans 40 percent off orders after every grand slam.
Schnatter admitted Wednesday and apologized for using the N-word during a May training session. He also resigned as the company’s chairman and stepped down from his seat on the University of Louisville’s board of trustees.




Are the Miami Marlins Willing to Part With Starlin Castro?

by Administrator | post a comment

It appears the Miami Marlins are willing to listen to offers for second baseman Starlin Castro, Kyle Newport of Bleacher Report has reported.

Castro was part of the deal that sent Giancarlo Stanton to the New York Yankees this offseason. While he has had a solid season in south Florida, he expressed an interest in being traded before the start of Spring Training. His veteran presence in the Marlins lineup has helped to ease the presence of youngsters who are still learning to play on the Major League level.

It was Craig Mish of Sirus XM who broke the news on his Twitter account.  Castro could be traded to a playoff contender looking for a solid bat and defensive presence around the diamond. Castro has hit the ball well this season, just ending an eight-game hitting streak. Per Newport, he has hit seven home runs, 22 doubles, and one triple. He has four All-Star selections on his resume, including one last season.
It was Craig Mish of Sirus XM who broke the news on his Twitter account.  Castro could be traded to a playoff contender looking for a solid bat and defensive presence around the diamond. Castro has hit the ball well this season, just ending an eight-game hitting streak. Per Newport, he has hit seven home runs, 22 doubles, and one triple. He has four All-Star selections on his resume, including one last season.
While Castro may be on the move, the Marlins may receive calls in regard to their bullpen. It is believed Brad Ziegler is also on the trading block as he will be a free agent at the end of this season. One of the reasons why the Marlins may be willing to part with their new addition is his salary in the next two seasons.

Castro is owed $11 million in 2019 and there is a team option for $20 million in 2020. Team owner Derek Jeter cut payroll over the course of the offseason to eliminate $50 million in player salaries this season.

The news of Ziegler potentially being traded isn’t surprising. The 38-year-old struggled as the team’s closer until he was replaced as the ninth-inning specialist by Kyle Barraclough, who is also being touted as a potential trade piece as well.





News archive